I set TOR to only use nodes from England/UK. I want to "appear" with an IP located in the UK.
I'm disappointed and puzzled:
- if I use an IP locator (such as, say, Geo IP Tool), I'll obtain one of the following two results:
1) "anonymous" location (so, totally useless - no evidence of "England"/UK)
2) Country: England (good!
) BUT empty
blocks for "Region", "City" ecc. which is bad. As a matter of fact, when I use my real IP, the path is COMPLETELY located, not just the nation but also Region, City and so on.
So, a poor performance for my purpose, 'cause it's quite obvious to guess I'm using a NON real IP... if you see what I mean.
I tried this:
I went to the Tor Network Map and after sorting the relays by nation, I analysed those with the UK flag, by coping each public IP and pasting it to an IP locator.
What I found was a bit wired (to me):
- 25% are actually not in the UK, but elsewhere (France, Germany etc; usually in Europe) - so whay do they appear with the UK flag???
- 50% are either "anonymous" or in the UK but with no other geographical clue as for Region, City ecc. (as I described before)
- 25% are, finally! good IPs meaning that not only they are located in the UK, but also in a given Region and a certain City (just as my own IP would appear)
here some node names: JointNetBridge; sherberslinode ecc.
Now, I tought: well it's easy: I'ill edit the TORCC file, using that Nodes - combined with the StrictExitNodes comand line! So I added:
ExitNodes: JointNetBridge,sherberslinode, and others
AND...TOR DIDN'T WORK!
In the log file, the report alert (on yellow) something like "couldn't find an exit node"
Any clue why?